Tito Dudley is a student at the Natural Gourmet Institute. Born and raised in New York City, he is a chef, nutrition consultant, personal trainer, natural bodybuilder, actor, and filmmaker. He was diagnosed with Hodgkins Disease/Cancer at the age of 15. Dudley says that after his recovery, he made a promise to himself to live a healthier lifestyle. His goal is to help others do the same.
Here in America with all the technology that we have that gives us access to so many educational websites, there still seems to be an issue with consuming too much sugar. It is important to know that consuming large amounts of sugar (good or bad) can be toxic to our bodies. You figure that 1 gram of sugar is equivalent to 1 teaspoon of sugar. If you take a look at how many grams of sugar are in a can of soda and pour that amount out onto a plate, you’ll be surprised to see the tower you build. We all need sugar, but we must make sure we are not disrupting the natural functions of our bodies by consuming large amounts of sugar. If your body is craving sugar - it may not be the sugar you need to fix the problem, it can be something else. A high protein diet for most people can cause sugar cravings, which can then create an imbalance in the body. I am a huge believer in creating a balanced body. The more in tune we are with our bodies, the easier it will take for us to make the right food decisions. If when consuming sugar - make sure your choices are natural sugars. Consuming 1 or 2 servings of fruit as well as whole grains should be ideal depending on the individual. The best times to consume sugars would be first thing in the morning and after your workouts. During this state your body would use the sugar for all the right reasons, such as to replenish the body’s energy and help transport nutrients to the right places without causing a drastic insulin spike. As a cancer survivor it is important that I make sure not to consume large amounts of sugar on a regular basis especially knowing what the side effects overtime can be. Down below is a list of 19 reasons why consuming large amounts of sugar may ruin your health. Remember, stay focused and mindful about your health and keep making positive changes.
Consumption of large amounts of sugar1..
1. May suppress the immune system.
2. May Interfere with absorption of calcium and magnesium.
3. Is linked to weakened eyesight.
4. May cause hypoglycemia.
5. Often causes a rapid rise of adrenaline levels in children.
6. May contribute to obesity.
7. Is linked to arthritis.
8. May lead to heart disease and emphysema.
9. May contribute to osteoporosis.
10. Is associated with increased cholesterol.
11. May be linked to both prostate cancer and ovarian cancer.
12. Is a leading contributor to diabetes.
13. May be linked to cardiovascular disease.
14. May make our skin age by changing the structure of collagen.
15. Leads to a significant rise in triglycerides.
16. Can increase the body’s fluid retention.
17. Can lead to headaches, including migraines.
18. May be linked to depression.
19. May contribute to Alzheimer’s disease.
1Adapted from "146 Reasons Why Sugars Is Ruining Your Health" by Nancy Appleton, PhD.